The National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives
Mentoring in Police Organizations
For Recruitment, Retention, and Advancement of Women and Minorities
The National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives (NAWLEE) is committed to leadership in:
- The improvement of police practices
- Increasing the number of women executives in law enforcement
- The retention of women in law enforcement
- Increasing the number of women chiefs in law enforcement
- And being a resource for its membership through the skills, strengths and experience of its membership.
Mentor Program Goals:
- In accordance with these goals, NAWLEE has developed a formal mentor program for the benefit of its membership, and as a model for other police agencies and/or organizations.
- The NAWLEE mentor program facilitates and oversees the pairing of NAWLEE members to enhance and develop professional growth.
- The goal of this program is to support and further advance women in law enforcement, and to provide a medium for productive exchange of ideas, experience, and learning.
||A Mentor Lights The Way By Providing:
- Support and Guidance
- Mutual Rewards
“You cannot hold a torch to light another’s path
without brightening your own.”
If you are interested in becoming involved in the NAWLEE Mentoring Program as a mentor, protégé or both please fill out the questionnaire.
We are currently reviewing all parings previously conducted. If you are currently happily paired with a mentor/protégé please contact Lt. Dawn Layman at the below email address with that information so that she can confirm you on the master list created for the program. If you do not wish to remain with your current mentor/protégé or you wish to engage in a mentoring paring, please complete the form or contact Dawn for further information.
Lt. Dawn Layman, Lenexa Police Department, 12500 W. 87th St., Lenexa, KS 66215
In the near future we will post materials and links for those wishing to create a mentoring program in your own agency.